Saturday, July 5, 2008

Stromness, Orkney - out of time!


Although I lived a long time in Scotland I was still amazed by Stromness when I went to Orkney for the first time in 2008. Living in London the past while added to the sense that I was visiting somewhere pretty special. Where London roads have traffic jams at 3 a.m., the towns of in Orkney are quiet during the day. There are no queues anywhere. You might get a few people walking in the streets, or a handful of cars driving through the Stromness.


But even without a city home, the place would have real charm. The town is incredibly atmospheric, reminiscent of a different era, with the layered low-rise buildings and a stunning rugged coastal backdrop.

There are a handful of shops and a really decent local museum, with well kept realia of Scapa Flow. This natural harbour was the resting place for a German fleet scuttled in 1919 under peculiar circumstances (although I doubt there could be ‘normal’ circumstances to sink your own ships!).


It is after all a harbour town and ultimately if I get to go again, I will definitely take the ferry – the place is supposed to look at its best from the water! I would also like to see the old man of Hoy a little closer, tour around more.

I flew connecting in Edinburgh and there is a certain charm taking a 27 seater plane – much closer to being in a (very noisy) car than, say a 747. The airport is pretty small but you can rent a car directly there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will approve your comment very shortly!